Dates Serving

Serving November 2014 to May 2016. Includes weekly emails from the mission and updates as a returned missionary.

Sunday, November 23, 2014

I'm Leaving on a Jet Plane


(This was originally sent on Monday, November 17th)


Óla Familia e Amigos!

How are you all doing? Things are going really amazing here!! And just in case you don't know: my visa came in and I'm going to BRAZIL!! I'm stressing out a little bit but I am so excited to get to Brazil. Six others in my district are leaving tomorrow as well so I won't be alone. I'm going miss my district so much!! Three missionaries are staying here in Provo and it is so sad! We have seriously grown so close here, we are really a family. Yesterday we had a testimony meeting with just our district and it was so powerful. Everyone is so different and has something different to contribute to this amazing work. I'm so grateful that I was put in the BEST district in the whole MTC!! 

I'm grateful that I was able to go to the Provo temple this week! It is so beautiful and I love it!! 
It is so FREEZING here! It snowed last week and has just been super cold ever since then. When I first got here it was perfect and my companion and I used to study outside and it was awesome. Now we practically run from building to building trying to stay warm. So yeah,  I'm a little excited to get out of this cold and move into the heat. Well, not that excited for the humidity, but what can ya do? I'm just excited to get to Brazil! Who cares if I sweat all day or my hair looks horrible --its BRAZIL! I am scared about speaking the language a bit but I know that if I work hard and keep practicing I'll get it eventually. 


Not much new stuff has happened here. Basically we sit in a classroom ALL day and study, study, study and we eat meals in between. We finished teaching our first investigator and it was amazing. I learned so much from teaching him and he told us a lot of stuff about Brazil. True, at the time it was really intimidating to teach him everything in Portuguese but when we taught him with the Holy Ghost hand in hand, it was amazing. Afterwards he shared with us about how he felt about us teaching him and it just felt great. He said that the first lesson was the best because even though we didn't know a lot of Portuguese, we relied on the Spirit, and that was what made it amazing. It was a real testimony builder for me. It doesn't matter how much Portuguese you know, what matters is if you have the Spirit with you when you're teaching.
 
Another thing I love about the MTC is all the musical numbers. Before every meeting someone or a group of people sing a hymn or church arrangement and they are always beautiful. Someone yesterday sang a Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief and sang the last verse in the tune of I Know that My Redeemer Lives and it was AMAZING!! The way he sang it was so powerful and I just love it. Love everyone because "when ye are in the service of your fellowmen ye are also in the service of your God."


I gave a mini talk on Sunday. They just call an Elder and a Sister right in the middle of Sacrament meeting and they called ME. It's supposed to be really short though so it was super easy. And I was allowed to give it in English (when if you're here for longer you have to do it in Portuguese). It was about Faith in Jesus Christ and the Atonement. Mostly I used the talk "Faith in Jesus Christ" by Gene Cooks. Look it up its awesome :)

Alright, I still have to pack for Brazil so I’ve got to go! I love you all and I would love to get some more emails in the Brazil CTM ;) 

Tchau Tchau!!