Dates Serving

Serving November 2014 to May 2016. Includes weekly emails from the mission and updates as a returned missionary.

Monday, April 11, 2016

The Last Email

This week was really great. Lots of work, lots of walking in the sun, but also lots of smiles. I am so grateful to be a missionary! I am also greatful for my amazing companion! She is a great example to me; hard working, patient, diligent and obedient. We are working hard here in Vila Mariana. I am super tired but it is going great. 

We have some great people that we are teaching. One is a young man named Luis. He is studying at a university here and wants to learn more about what we believe. He grew up in the Baptist church so its been super interesting teaching him. He asks a lot of questions which is great. We have just been bearing our testimonies that we KNOW that this is true and that he just has to pray and ask God to know for himself. He says he is praying but that he hasn't received an answer yet. We are praying hard for him that he can have an open heart to actually receive the answer from God. We taught the plan of Salvation to him this week and something that he said really made me think. We got to talking about how God gives us second chances, even in the spirit world after this life on earth. He said it didnt make sense because it is obvious that people would want to accept Jesus Christ when given the chance, so it would be like taking away their free agency. But we explained that we as missionaries talk to tons of people every single day, inviting everyone to learn more about Jesus Christ to become closer to Him. And how many people reject this simple message? So many people reject the very thing that could solve every problem in their lives. It really doesnt make sense to me either that people would reject this wonderful message, but it happens.

I want to do what the Lord wants me to do; I dont want to do this alone, yet so many people do just that- reject help from a loving Heavenly Father and demand to walk alone, without light and without hope. I am so grateful for this amazing gospel in my life! I know who I am and where I want to go! I just love that. 

Another experience, Brazil is going a little crazy with the government and a lot of things are happening here. Lots of people are worried about what will happen here, and if things will turn out all right. We talked to a guy on the street one day this week and started teaching him about prayer and of course he perceived our accents and started asking about where we were from. He looked at me and asked "What craziness brought you here to Brazil?" oh how I love that question! I am here because I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints is true and is led by a prophet of God. I know that the message that I am called to bear is true, and it can change your life. I know that we can find true happiness through obedience to the gospel. Its amazing and I love it. 

Other news real quick: I went on an exchange with Sister Gines, from Las Vegas. It was great to talk a little about good ole´ America, and I learned a lot from her too. 

I have been thinking a lot about General Conference and how amazing it was. I want to be a better person and conference helps me to see what areas that I really need to focus on. I absolutely LOVED the first song during womens Conference- I am a child of God and As a have loved you Medley. Oh my goodness it is beautiful. I pretty much cry every time I hear it. I know that Heavenly Father loves me! I know that He loves ALL of us. We all have so many faults, we all make so many mistakes, but He still loves us. And because He loves us, what does He ask us to do? He asks us to love one another. He asks us to love people even though they make mistakes, even though they hurt us or others, even though we are not perfect. That is what I want to do. I want to love everyone to show how much God loves us. I am still not perfect, but through prayer and with the help of my Savior, I can become a little better day by day. 

Thank you so much for the support and prayers this last year and a half! It has been perfect! 
Love ya and have a great week!


Sister Berry