Dates Serving

Serving November 2014 to May 2016. Includes weekly emails from the mission and updates as a returned missionary.

Monday, August 17, 2015

Pencils and Pancakes


Well this week was FANTASTIC. Sister Freitas and I worked so hard and we were really able to see even more miracles. It is absolutely amazing! Remember I told you about Tamires last week? Well, she is absolutely amazing and was so prepared to hear the gospel. We were able to talk to her 'husband´' (not married legally-- whyyyyyyyy??), and it went really well. We weren't able to teach him again because his only day off is Monday, but Tamires told us that he got an answer too! They did exactly what we ask every person to do. They read a part of the Book of Mormon, prayed with faith, asking God if the Book of Mormon was true or not, and they received an answer to their prayers! That is all we are asking. Read it and ask God. They are so amazing. They are so willing to change and follow the example of Jesus Christ.

They all went to Church on Sunday: Marcos, Tamires, and their 5 children. Yep 5 kids under the age of 11. Church was great! I had the sense to bring some colored pencils and markers and some paper that kept them all occupied. Sister Freitas and I took care of the kids while the parents listened to the talks. I think they really liked it. The kids too. I got some great drawings out of it as well. I love them so much already!! We are having a Family Home Evening with them tonight and I plan on showing Brazil how to play Don’t Eat Pete, or  "Não come o Pedro,” it’s gonna be awesome :)

The sad thing though is that tomorrow is transfers...and I’m leaving the area. It is super sad because we finally found amazing people to teach after so much difficulty and I just love the members here. I love this place so much. But at the same time I know it’s time for me to leave. I know that the Sister that takes my place will be perfect and will be able to help Tamires and Marcos marry and help all the members here. I really feel like that I have done all that I could have to help this area. So I am excited to go someplace new and find new people that need me.

Something super exciting happened this morning :) I made a German pancake! Yup, just one, but it was ginormous! And super delicious. I think the next ones I make will be even better :) I’m excited. I even had a lime and powdered sugar. Heaven!

We were also able to visit a lot of recent converts and less actives this week, which is good but sad at the same time. Things will never be perfect! Some people think that after they have stepped onto the straight and narrow path that all is finished. But it doesn’t end there. God gives us challenges to make us stronger! We can overcome any difficulty with the help of our Savior. It is all about Jesus Christ. So visiting recent converts is great. It’s great to see them grow in the gospel. But some recent converts need help, and less actives have sometimes abandoned the church altogether. All the answers are right here in front of them! All we have to do is endure to the end and we will be happy. We will receive blessings from heaven and rest for our souls. We just have to have an eternal perspective. Remember what really matters. I love the people here in the ward so much and I will miss them a lot.

Alright, so remember to be happy, no matter what. You can do hard things. I can too :)
Eu amo vocês!

Sister Berry


Wait, is that a steer? A guy riding a steer in the middle of the street?
Yeah, I’m gonna take a picture of that.