Dates Serving

Serving November 2014 to May 2016. Includes weekly emails from the mission and updates as a returned missionary.

Monday, September 21, 2015

I Stand All Amazed

Olá everyone!

Well, this week was super-hot. The weather in Sao Paulo is so strange! Last week is was rainy and cold, and this week was sun and heat. But the heat reminds me of home so I’m ok with it. Plus there is an awesome ice cream shop with açaí that is super delicious. Oh açaí with sweetened condensed milk and banana is perfect for a hot day.

Besides the heat this week was pretty normal. We walked a lot but taught a lot too, which is good. We are teaching a bunch of people who have trouble keeping their commitments, like coming to church and reading the Book of Mormon, which is sad, frustrating, but normal. We are teaching a girl named Karol who is super amazing. She is 18 and has a strong desire to learn the truth and live it, but her boyfriend Diego is a little hesitant. We are hoping and praying that all goes well with her and that she will be able to progress. She also thinks that I'm adorable because I'm American.

Another cool thing this week was that I tried something that an Elder taught me a while back. There are usually fruit stands on the street here, (which is awesome) and if you ask the owner how much for one banana they will usually give you one for free or even two. :) The Elder told me and I didn’t really believe it, but I was hungry, saw a banana stand, asked how much for one banana and he gave me two and said I didn’t need to pay. Ha! My companion thought I was crazy for asking but it was a great afternoon snack. I love Brasil!

Some of my spiritual insights for the week I received during sacrament meeting. I have been trying really hard lately to do my absolute best, to be perfectly obedient and work my hardest, but sometimes I still feel inadequate. Sometimes I feel like I will never be enough or that I'll never be perfect. But as I was sitting at church thinking about my week, I felt the peace that the Spirit brings. 
The Sacrament hymn was "Assombro me Causa" or I Stand All Amazed. Really and truly, 

"I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me. Confused at the grace that so fully He profers me, I tremble to know that for me He was crucified. That for me a sinner He suffered, He bled and died. 
I marvel that He would descend from his throne divine to rescue a soul so rebellious and proud as mine, that He should extend His great love unto such as I. Sufficient to own to redeem and to justify. 
I think of His hands pierced and bleeding to pay to debt. Such mercy such love and devotion can I forget? No, no I will praise and adore at his mercy seat, until at his glorified throne I kneel at His feet. 
Oh it is Wonderful that he should care for me enough to die for me! Oh it is wonderful, wonderful to me!"

I am imperfect and weak, but Christ loves me perfectly and gives me strength. I am doing better than I think I am, and what I am doing wrong Christ will help me change. I am so grateful for the gospel of second chances. I am so grateful to be a missionary. I love it so much!!



Have a great week! Stay strong and pray always.


Love, Sister Berry