Dates Serving

Serving November 2014 to May 2016. Includes weekly emails from the mission and updates as a returned missionary.

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Mothers

Olá para todos!

This was a really good week. There were good days and bad days, but overall it made me happy to be a missionary here in Brazil. I know that God is guiding my life and helping me every step of the way.
So, this week I was thinking a lot about moms of missionaries. I had the opportunity to talk to two different kinds of moms recently, and it’s crazy how different they were. 

First we talked to a less active mom, whose son is preparing to serve a mission. Her brother is also on a mission right now, so she knows how missions work. We talked to her and she started telling us that she is scared for her son to go on a mission, and at first she didn’t want him to go. She has seen the changes it has made on her brother and also doesn’t think she would be able to handle being away from her son, without being able to know everything that’s happening. (I am so grateful for mothers, for my mother.) So, she isn’t completely against him going, but isn’t really supporting him either.

That whole experience made me remember in my last area there was a Missionary mom who was absolutely against missions. Her daughter left her family to serve, and she was still bitter about it. The mother just couldn’t let it go that her daughter left her family to be a missionary. I remember during that lesson I just wanted to cry and tell her exactly how important and special it is for me to be a missionary, but words just can’t express how I feel, how all missionaries feel. I told her that her missionary daughter loved the Lord, and just wanted to help others come unto Christ. She didn’t leave because she didn’t love her Mom, the exact opposite. It is love that brings us out here.

Finally, the last missionary mom. Silvana is the mother of a recently returned missionary (one month home), and is amazing. It was really hard for her to send the first of two daughters on a mission far away from home. But she trusted in the Lord, and learned from her daughter too.

Well, that was a lot and I hope that made a little sense. Sorry but I was thinking a lot about that this week. I am so grateful for my amazing mother. Who loves me and supports me while I am so far away. Thank you Mom!

I really just want to use this time here to get to know my Savior. I want to know Him. And I know I can only do that by walking where He walked, by doing what He did, and studying the words that He spoke. I am learning to talk to my Heavenly Father in prayer, and to trust completely in Him. We can all come to know our Savior Jesus Christ through scripture study, prayer, and church attendance. He is waiting for us all with open arms to come unto Him. He loves us!!


Remember to be strong, and pray always. :)

Love, Sister Berry