Dates Serving

Serving November 2014 to May 2016. Includes weekly emails from the mission and updates as a returned missionary.

Monday, January 18, 2016

The Rainy Season

This week was great! It rained a lot but we were able to work in spite of it. The rain here really is something else. We also discovered that last week the Lord really watched over us. Remember how I talked about the day when we didnt have anything to do and my comp felt like going to a certain area and we stayed at the house of a less active until the rain passed. Well, that rain was a lot more serious than it appeared. This week we heard about other places in our area that flooded completely and destroyed people's houses and many belongings of lots of people. The Lord led us to areas of higher ground so we didnt even realize what was happening. It is amazing to me how God protects us! 

Also this week we have been trying to trust more in the Lord and ask Him where we need to go to find people to teach. After lots of pondering and prayer we chose some streets to go to this week and found some amazing people to teach. We were walking from door to door on one street, and when we got to one, a lady answered. I just said "We are missionaries-" and then she said "wait a minute" and came out with a key to the gate and let us in. :) She then told us how she has been having problems in the church that she and her husbund go to and that she had been fasting to find out when she needed to do. Then we showed up at her door! I love miracles! She accepted to read and pray about our message and the Book of Mormon, so now its all up to her. We are here to help people come unto Christ and become a part of His church, we dont force people to do anything. My comp and I are praying that she can have the desire to know the truth so she can receive an answer. We did the same thing the next day and found another lady who was willing to listen to our message. I love being a missionary! 

The sad news about this week was the rainy, chilly weather. This weather coupled with summer break equals everyone sleeping or out of the house. So that was a little rough, but I know that we can do hard things and that it will all work out. 

Finally, the Bishop asked me and Sister Allred to give talks in Sacrament meeting on Sunday. Luckily we had a couple days to prepare. Sister Allred gave an amazing talk, especially because she's only been in Brazil 3 months. She talked about three basic things that we always need to do to build our testimony. Pray, read the scriptures and go to church. Simple, easy, just do it.

I gave a talk about testimony and conversion, that we need to be converted to the gospel of Jesus Christ, not just have a testimony. We need to want to be more like Jesus Christ, and that involves a lot of change and a lot of sacrifice. I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God. It is truly another testament of Jesus Christ. And because I know that the Book of Mormon is true, I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet called of God, and that we have a living prophet today. I love this Church. I know that Jesus Christ leads this church through the prophet and apostles. And because I know this, I live differently. This gospel is amazing. Let it change your life for the better. 


Love, Sister Berry