Dates Serving

Serving November 2014 to May 2016. Includes weekly emails from the mission and updates as a returned missionary.

Friday, April 10, 2015

I Know That My Redeemer Lives

Ola Todo Mundo!

This has been a great week! Mostly because we all got to listen to the words of the Prophet and Apostles during General Conference! I am so grateful that we have a living prophet on the earth today. So grateful! We had the opportunity to watch it live at our chapel, which was a huge blessing.  I watched the whole thing in Portuguese. My last companion told me that watching conference is hard in Portuguese because they use a lot of words we don’t know and the translators are difficult to understand sometimes. So I took all that and before conference I prayed really hard that I wouldn’t be freaked out by all the Portuguese, that I would be able to feel the Spirit and feel peace. It was a really powerful experience. Of course, I didn’t understand everything (probably not even half), but I know that my Heavenly Father was talking to me during Conference. I understood what I needed to and I am grateful for this amazing opportunity to hear conference in a different language. Now I’m even more excited to read all the talks in the Liahona next month! I can’t think of anything else to write about besides how awesome General Conference was. Go on lds.org and watch it! Listen to the talks again and again.

Oh! We went on exchanges this week! I went to a different area with a different companion for a day and Sister Fernandes stayed here with a different companion. It was a really good experience! I was with Sister Alves (from Fortaleza Brazil) and she is amazing!! She is such a hard worker and such a good example to me. Funny thing, lunch in their area that day was SUPER far, we basically climbed a mountain to get there, but the view was amazing! São Paulo is beautiful!

Brazil Easter traditions: Chocolate eggs. Chocolate eggs are a HUGE deal here. It’s a hollow egg made of chocolate and it has more little chocolate on the inside. It’s pretty cool, but also super expensive. The missionaries were lucky though and a sister in the ward made us one.  It’s super cool , and it was delicious.

Don’t worry; I didn’t forget that yesterday was Easter. I read the last few chapters of Mark this week, about the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, and it was really powerful. I just want to steal the words to the hymn I know that my Redeemer lives!

"What comfort this sweet sentence gives, He lives, He lives who once was dead, He lives my ever living head. He lives all glory to His name, He lives my Savior still the same. Oh, sweet the joy this sentence gives: I know that my Redeemer lives!"

 I am eternally grateful for the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ. He loves us SO much that He died for us, and 3 days later rose again.

 'Oh it is wonderful that He should care for me enough to die for me. Oh it is wonderful to me!'

Make sure to watch the short clip Because He lives on Lds.org, I love it. I love Jesus Christ and I love this gospel. Don’t ever forget the love that Jesus Christ has for you! Remember to show the love you have for Him in your life too. We obey the commandments because we love Him!

I love you all and I pray that you all have a fantastic week! Pray always and stay strong!


Love Sister Berry